Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Prayer

This is a side bar that was the topic of the sermon on Sunday at church. I know Mom, don't fall off your rocker...I went to church. I just wanted to put food for thought into your heads. How do you pray? When do you pray? Do you pray when you need something? or do you pray everyday? Do you pray silently in your head or do you pray out loud?

I almost feel like prayer is like reading the Bible, it should be done every day. With that said, I find on many days that I don't think about it until there is something that is upsetting me or nagging me that I feel the need for extra guidance and support. I have been thinking about this in terms of the relationship we have with God. For many relationships to be healthy you need good communication, the good and the bad. I am really trying to strengthen my relationship with God. FYI: I like to do it in the car on the way to work, I turn the radio off, and speak out loud. How about you?

2 comments:

  1. I agree that prayer should be every day. I do real well with it Monday through Friday. Then the weekend hits and the routine is different. I pray before I leave the house and often times in the car on the way to work. Then once I get to work, things get busy and I really don't think about praying again until the next day. Probably not a good routine, but still I am praying. I am not one of those who keeps a diary of prayer requests and when they are answered. It would probably be a good idea for you, Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a thought while reading Judges about prayer. I was noticing how the Israelites were only bothering to call out to God (i.e. pray) when their backs were against the wall, when the fit was hitting the shan so to speak. Some things never change I guess. I think many people today are the same way with God. We (me included lately) treat God as Plan B to fall back on when all else fails, but there's no relationship there on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete