Sunday, March 13, 2011

And I thought Judges would be boring...

Oh the drama, there seems to be several women to contend with in this book. Deborah has emerged as one of the judges of Isreal, and Jael, who drove a tent peg thru Sisera's temple. Ouch.

Deborah is interesting because she is the first woman to lead Israel. I would really like to know a back story on her. It is equally interesting that she ordered a warrior, Barak, to go at God's command and overturn the Jabin army, and Barak didn't want to do it unless she went with him. Why is that? Did he not trust her or did he feel more comfortable that she would be with him to help command? if that is the case, this is the first time in the Bible I have seen such a powerful woman emerge. She probably was a kick-butt-Angelina Jolie type of person.

I find Jael interesting because she only occupies 6 versus of chapter 4, but I wonder at her motivation and intensity to commit such a violent attack. I almost feel like it deserves more discussion.

In chapter 7 I was intrigued by the fact that Gideon gave his people the option of not going to was and 22,000 men said "o.k, I don't want to go, I am scared" That was more than half of his army. Not to worry because God said it was still too many people, but they have God on their side, what exactly are they trembling in fear from? I may be taking some of this too literally. I am assuming anyone who has God on their side shouldn't be fearful. I have to admit, I wouldn't be too thrilled to go into battle myself.

And last but not least...The end of chapter 7 verse 13 they are interpreting dreams. I think this happens alot in the Bible but I always put this in a category along with fortune telling, and horoscope, etc, and I was pretty sure God doesn't care for these means of directing lives. Discuss please.

2 comments:

  1. We know deep down that God is on our side, but we still are fearful sometimes in our lives. Gideon's men were no different. Or you can look at it like this: God wanted a small group of men so perhaps God planted the seed of fear in the hearts of 22,000 men. Interpreting dreams was a specialty of Joseph. Ezekiel had quite a vision. Jesus's earthly father was given two dreams/visions. And Peter had a vision which he used to turn around a solid Jewish custom. So not all dreams/visions are sourced from evil. Perhaps it depends on how these dreams/visions are used? Any more discussion out there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dreams and their interpretation have always fascinated me. I don't have vivid dreams often but when I do I'm always looking for meaning in them; trying to figure out if there's a message from God in them. As Mom mentioned there are lots of instances of God speaking to people through dreams, so I guess it's not the craziest thought in the world for me to look for meaning in mine.

    ReplyDelete