Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Deuteronomy 20-29

Deuteronomy 20...I find it interesting that they address the idea of war and whether or not to send someone out because they have built a new house, or because they may have planted a vineyard and not yet been able to enjoy it, or become newly wed and not yet been able to enjoy marriage. Also I am taken with the word "plunder" that is used in D 20:14 God seems to say it is okay to plunder. I have always taken this word to be a bad action, but when seeing it on paper I have to question. What is the deeper meaning. Or is it simply one of those "an eye for an eye" kind of things where you have to decide for yourself whether or not the crime warranted the action?

D 21&22 Whoa! more laws, second laws for sure.
On a side note, I thought it was kinds funny that in there were so many what if contingencies...if you see your brother's sheep astray, if you have a roof build a parapet so if someone accidentally falls you will not be blamed. And...I founf it equaly interesting that in D 22:5 a woman must not wear men's clothes and a man must not wear a woman's. In retail, boy do I have stories on this.

D27:21 This isn't the first time I have seen this in the Bible and I am disturbed to think why it has to be mentioned numerous times.

D 27 The Alter on Mt Ebal...I was wondering if there was a tomb raider out there that was searching for these stones?

D 28 Whoa!. After reading that I have no question that I should follow his word. Not that I was questioning, I am just saying, it is layed it in black and white pretty much, and the consequesnces are tremedous.

Oh and 23:12-14 kinda funny. I would second that request.

3 comments:

  1. D 20: God seemed to have various plans for different circumstances in people's lives. Just remember that this was written for a different culture in a different time. God wanted to make sure He had a holy people through whom He would send his Son. So everything that would contaminate them had to be destroyed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Men could not wear women's clothes and women could not wear men's clothes. Hmmm If I recall doesn't our pictures of the men of old show them wearing long, flowing robes, kind of like dresses? Weren't the men at that time wearing some what the same style of clothing as women? Just shows how the culture thing muddles the understanding.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deut 28 - interesting how the blessing portion is 14 verses and the cursing portion is 54 verses long. Almost 4x as much time spent on curses. Why?

    ReplyDelete