Friday, March 11, 2011

Earthquake and Tsunami in Japan 3/11/11

With the days current events, I can't help but equate them with things that have occurred thus far in our Bible journey, Genesis thru Joshua. With the technology we have available to us these days it is so easy to dismiss most events with a simple "plug into the equation and there you have it, it was bound to happen." But, take that away and how do you explain it. Back in the days of the plagues, the exodus, everything was explained as the wrath of God. Where do the current events fall? Is this a punishment of some sort? Is this one of God's promises that all your generations will suffer if you fail me? To be perfectly honest, if I hadn't been reading thru the Bible, I might have casually thought about this event in terms of what God has to do with it, but with the current books (6 of the entire Bible) I can't help but take more of a pause to contemplate the works of God. The effects of the earthquake not only affected Japan, but potentially the U.S west coast, and don't forget the nuclear reactors that could have massive impact if their coolant completely fails. How would that impact the entire world?

Beyond all that, I have to say a prayer for all that are suffereing from this massive devistation. I really don't have words that could match anything that someone who is going thru this could say. God give them strength...

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if this is God's answer to our faithlessness. God did put stuff into play that has natural consequences, like plate movements that cause earthquakes. Are the earthquakes more numerous and more serious than say, 10 years ago? And is this a sign of the end times? Jesus did say that there would be an increase in earthquakes. Maybe God is just about fed up with this human race he spawned and is ready to throw in the towel. All I can say is I hope your dad had a really good garden this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The catastrophe over in Japan is hard to imagine and very tragic. My heart definitely goes out to those people.

    I have a hard time explaining such things in terms of God's wrath though. Natural disasters inevitably affect good and bad people both, so it's hard to throw it all under the blanket of "God's Judgment". Plus it seems unreasonable and superstitious to me to say it's literally an Act of God.

    Is that just a logical perspective? Or have I been brainwashed by secularism?

    ReplyDelete