Sunday, May 1, 2011

BGOTB: Woman at the Well, John 4

I find it interesting that the writer picked another no named woman as a vessel to convey a message. I find it even more interesting that this was the start of a lengthy conversation the longest found in Scripture between Jesus and anyone, as the writer says.
Most of what the book reviews of the conversation lost me until the "what lessons can we learn from the woman at the well" section. Never be afraid to ask questions. Hadn't thought about it that way, but she does have a point. Sometimes we are afraid to tread more deeply into theology with someone more knowledgeable because we don't want to appear foolish by the questions we ask. If the Lord has provided a teacher, be a willing student. James 1:5 If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. I like it. I am always praying that God grant me wisdom to make wise choices in my everyday life and relationships I have with co-workers, friends and passing acquaintances and that those "wise" choices reflect God's work in me. So this part really hit home for me.

The only other thing I have to comment on is that the last lesson was: water is meant to be shared, not hoarded. I don't think I need to go into detail on that, especially if you have been following along. Acts 20:24 I consider my life worth nothing to me, if only I may finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me-the task of testifying to the gospel of God's grace.
No group next week, I have to close down at work. The next bad girl is Delilah. Judges 13-16. I love it, I blogged earlier this year on him and her, I can't wait....

No comments:

Post a Comment