Sunday, February 13, 2011

Numbers 14-15

It struck me as interesting that in 14:15 Moses is giving advice to the Lord. This is the first time I have caught this fact and if I recall I think Moses has been doing that for some time. It show what an significant relationship the two have together. So what would you take it to mean in terms of what kind of relationship God wants to have with each of us?

I am also beginning to see how God wants us to trust him implicitly, suffering may be a symptom of what great things can happen if we have faith. Thoughts?

In 15:32 The Sabbath Breaker put to death...I was just wondering how much of the world population would be depleted if that were true today. For that matter, I remember growing up and there were businesses, like Hawkins grocery, that were not open on Sundays. I know there were others so when did big business decide that it was completely acceptable. Was it when they saw their books falling into the red, did they not have enough faith? On the other side of it, A whole business can decide to be open on Sundays, but an individual has the right to say it is their religious belief not work on Sundays or Saturdays. I feel like I might be on the verge of rambling so I will leave it at that.

2 comments:

  1. I should clarify...I don't mean for us to start giving advice to God, the comment/question was purely in terms of a relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Re: Moses giving God advice - I don't read it that way. I read it as Moses making an argument to influence God one way or another, not unlike how many of us pray even today. Abraham did the same sort of thing when he talked God into agreeing to spare Sodom and Gomorrah back in Genesis if 10 righteous people could be found.

    Suffering as a symptom? Don't know, but it seems to me that good and bad things happen to people seemingly randomly, regardless of their religion or faith. It's more of a difference of perspective and how you respond to those things that demonstrates your true beliefs.

    The whole honoring the sabbath thing is kind of weird when you think about it in our society. It's complete irony when you think of pastors, priests, and church leaders who by definition have to work on the sabbath. Modern Christian interpretation is a lot more loose. It's just the idea that you take one day off from working each week, regardless of which day it is. And I would like to high five whoever invented the two day weekend - I feel like I get two sabbath days every week :)

    ReplyDelete