Saturday, January 29, 2011

Exodus

Exodus was supposedly written by Moses. Why then is Moses referred to in the third person? Kind of odd. Wonder if he talked about himself in the third person in the course of normal conversation. That would be obnoxious.

What's with the specific instruction, repeated twice in Exodus (ch 23 & 34) and again in Deuteronomy 14, that a goat should not be cooked in it's mother's milk? Must be some cultural thing, but why not provide a little context? That would be helpful.

1 comment:

  1. yeah, I wondered that myself about the repetion. The Bible has so much information I was wondering if there was a specific reason for repeating what was already said.

    I have to correct myself, I think all the ceremonial stuff seemed Jewish not Catholic.

    Exodus 2:12, does this give me allowance to add salt to everything I eat ;)

    On another note, those books you got Dad for Christmas are excellent so far. I am almost finished with the first. My reason for bringing it up is that there are alot of Leviticus references in the first one. They (the books) really are fascinating, you will be the next recipient.

    ReplyDelete