Friday, September 16, 2011

There is nothing new under the sun

I finished Proverbs and Ecclesiastes.

You gotta love Proverbs - lots of great one-liners and practical, useful advice. Such as:
"A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest, and poverty will come on you like a thief and scarcity like an armed man." (6:10-11)
"Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but whoever hates correction is stupid." (12:1)
"Fools show their annoyance at once, but the prudent overlook an insult." (12:16)
"A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones." (14:30)

Ecclesiastes really resonates with me. I love this book. There's a jadedness and introspection to it that help me identify. This one also has some nice, quotable one-liners, like "there is nothing new under the sun". I like this verse too as a summary:

"A person can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in their own toil. This too, I see, is from the hand of God, for without him, who can eat or find enjoyment?" (Eccl. 2:24,25)

No comments:

Post a Comment